Sunday, July 18, 2010

domesticity

It's strange, indeed, that a new living space can have such a profound effect on one's pysche.  Maybe it's having a project, something to keep you busy...or maybe it's just that changing your surroundings can change your point of view.  Doesn't matter, really...it's still pretty cool.   But I've done some very uncharacteristically domestic things these last few weeks.  Such as suffer through the Lawn Mower Wars so I could mow my gigantic lawn (more on that later), spend $200 on plants, pots and potting soil for my patio, and willingly make my bed at least once in a while.  Weird.

For those who care, here's a few photos of the inside of the house in it's current state - no real new decor, just old stuff rehung, but it's starting to look like someone actually lives there.

Strangely, my favorite "room" is actually the hallway - for some reason my old posters on the walls just make me happy.  I found one hidden in a pile of stuff today that I'd forgotten - that always a nice moment.  It's like finding a pair of jeans you'd packed away - and having them fit when you try them on!


A trip to Hobby-Lobby last week should have netted me all kinds of schmaltzy decor, but I wound up spending a mere $6 on two metal signs - one of which now hangs in the entrance to the guest bathroom and states the obvious in manufactured vintage style.  Astute observers will note that the shower curtain in here is the one my mom made me more than 10 years ago when I got my first apartment.


 I'm particularly proud of this little gem - the towel rack in the master bath.  I installed it myself!  I managed to put it up in one try, and it looks smashing.  My first real project with my spiffy new screw gun.  And I even used a level.  And math to measure the position.  Go me.

The best part about this room is that it's nowhere near complete - there are hutches to buy and artwork to search out...but the vase of ivy trimmings is what's making me smile.  Just that little bit of green (alive, not fake), makes a difference, and will prompt me to seek out more greenery.  No promises on said greenery's longevity and life span, but it will be appreciated no matter how quickly I kill it.

By far the best part of my first month of home rentership was coming home on Saturday and noting a stranger mowing my backyard.  Normally, strangers in my backyard would be serious cause for concern, but it turns out that my neighbors got a new riding mower and wanted to "test" it on my pathetic, partially mowed battlefield...er...lawn.  And they plan to test the mower in the future, to which I say, bring it on!  Definitely a pay it forward moment. 

So all in all, this whole domesticity thing is pretty sweet.  It's certainly getting me out of the office on time - how odd that I want to get home so I can clean, organize, plant and install things.  As I said before, weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment